Sunday, July 20, 2014

New Testament Reading Plan



Instead of reading the New Testament in its canonical arrangement or even by chronological order, I like to format my New Testament reading according to a four Gospel structure. First, I take Matthew's Gospel, which is the most "Jewish" and attach to it the other "Jewish" New Testament books:


Matthew
Hebrews
James

Next, I take Mark's Gospel, who is said to be the understudy of Peter, and attach the two epistles of Peter,along with Jude, which has overlapping content with Peter's epistles:

Mark
1 Peter
2 Peter
Jude

Third, I take Luke's Gospel along with Acts and group them with the Pauline Epistles, since Luke was Paul's traveling companion on many of his missionary journeys. (Although, I believe the book of Hebrews was written by Paul, I place it in the Jewish section for a more balanced sectional reading):

Luke
Acts
Romans
1 Corinthians
2 Corinthians
Galatians
Ephesians
Philippians
Colossians
1 Thessalonians
2 Thessalonians
1 Timothy
2 Timothy
Titus
Philemon

 Finally, I read the Johannine books:
 
John
1 John
2 John
3 John
Revelation

In sum, I enjoy how this method spaces out the gospel readings and categorically groups like epistles.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment